- Both models are interchangeable, collapsible and easily portable!
- Our handcrafted Umbrella Swifts are designed to function as both a Yarn Swift and a Skeinwinder.
- Skein circumference is adjustable from 1-2 yards. There are three black rings on the center dowel. The bottom ring indicates a 1-yard circumference, the center: 1-1/2 yds, and the top: 2-yds.
- You can determine the yardage by setting the Swift/skeinwinder to the appropriate marked on the center dowel. Count the number of rotations while winding the skein. You can then easily calculate the yardage by multiplying the yards for one rotation by the number of rotations you made.
- The adjusting ring, shown to the left, locks the setting in place.
- The winding handle, shown to the left, makes it easy to wind onto the Skeinwinder.
- Available in these solid hardwoods: Oak, Cherry, Maple, and Walnut.
- All Swifts are treated with Watco penetrating oil finish and need only to be occasionally cleaned with high quality liquid lemon oil furniture polish.
- The umbrella section, as shown at the bottom left, folds just like a regular rain umbrella, so your Swift/skeinwinder takes up less room.
This beautiful and functional piece of furniture has been delighting fiber artists since 1990. It measures 42" tall, from floor to top of knob.
In April 2007, with the introduction of our table model, we upgraded our Floor Yarn Swift / Skeinwinder. This allowed the Floor Model to be collapsible, portable and interchangeable with the new Table Base. All Floor Yarn Swifts / Skeinwinders built after March 2007 incorporate all the new improvements. Units made prior to April 2007 can be upgraded. See: "Upgrading older floor models"
The Floor Model uses the same umbrella section as on the Table Model. Simply screw it into the Floor Base.
(Oak wood shown in photo)
Introduced in April 2007, this addition to the Strauch Fiber Equipment line uses the same umbrella section as is used on the floor model. Simply screw it into the table base, attach the table clamp and you're ready to work.
The table model measures 27" tall from table surface to top of knob. A suggestion: to more easily use as a skeinwinder, mount it on a shorter table so the top crank is more accessible.
(Maple wood shown in photo)
We offer special pricing to our customers who purchase the Floor Swift/Skeinwinder and the Table base at the same time as a three-piece combination.
(Walnut wood shown in photo)
The standard clamp that comes with the Yarn Swift / Skeinwinder Table Model fits tables from 3/8" to 2 1/4" thick There is a "Deeper Style" table clamp available that will fit tables from 1 1/2" to 3 1/4" thick. It is an additional $28.00.